Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Rise & Shine



After a long and relaxful summer, it's now time for the little minions of Los Angeles to go back to school. And since there's no one else to do it, Ev must now wake up at 5:45 am to undertake such a task. I have been called upon to make a change and switch over to his new bed/wake schedule.

Now, if you're not snickering going 'Heck, I get up earlier than that every day!" and your response is "OMFG that's an ungodly hour.", then you can understand why the decision to change gave me pause at first. I mean, I'm used to getting to bed by midnight and rising at 8am! (That is, of course, after I got my steady 40hr a week job. As some of you remember from my other blog, waking at 4:30am to be at *bucks working at 5:15 was a regular occurance for a while.)

I decided to give it the 'ole college try, and went to bed Sunday night at 10pm and awoke Monday morning @ 5:45am. WOW. That was hard. Actually, the waking up part was not that hard, the waking up after not having a restful sleep part was difficult. We both tossed and turned all night! It was terrible.

So after cooking him some obligatory oaty-chia-goodness, I totally caved and went back to sleep for an hour. I should have put sleep in quotation marks because sleep I did not get. Instead I recieved frustrating amounts of sunlight through my bedroom window and annoying meows from the Pipster about wanting to be let out in the yard. And yes, I'm not ashamed to say I acutally fastened a make-shift sleeping mask to block out the light using just a clean sock and workout headband. Ghetto fabulous.

After a long day at work, I started to get snippy with Evan around 9pm, (mostly) due to fatigue. Man, when I'm tired I can turn into quite the B-

(source)

E-A-Rawr! Last night was still a bit rough, in bed @ 10pm but staring at the clock till 12am. I know it will get better with time as my body adjusts.

Fortunately, I was able to get going this morning relatively easy. I cooked up some eggies for Ev and got decked out in estretchy pants @ 6:30am. Our the door with a piece of toast, I wanted to hit the gym for an hour, but I settled for 40 mins. If I push too hard too fast on little sleep, I know I'll just get sick.

It was so amazing to get home at 7:30am and make my lunch for the day, shower, and get my makeup on without any rushing. I think I'm going to like this early morning stuff! Iced coffee + Jason Mraz = a great drive to work. Very loud singing always makes the traffic more bearable. I've been digging Jason for many many years (I knew him back when he was playing Java Joe's!) and I am OBSESSED with this album:

(source)

Naturally I LOVE the video to "I'm Yours", it's a total slice of life from home. I pull out my ukelele and jam along, singing as loud as I can!

Unforunately, tonight is my 15-hour day: wake up, snack, gym, bfast, shower, work, lunch, work, sit in traffic for 1.5 hrs, 2.5 hour choir rehearsal, drive back, wash up, sleep. I've requested that Ev let me sleep in on Wed mornings because I can't get to bed the night before till at least 11:30pm, but tomorrow is his birthday so I HAVE TO wake up and cook him a special breakfast!

Send me your early morning tips, tricks, and hardships if you've got 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment