Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Creamy Artichoke Soup

It just got cold here!!! God I love California, if you can make it past the heat of summer, fall is well worth it. I'm fighting a bit of a bug coming back from Vegas, so I knew I needed something warm and comforting for dinner. Enter in: Creamy Artichoke Soup!



This is adapted from a Giada recipe, veganized, and very versatile. It does take at least 30 minutes, and you'll need a blender/vitamix/processor/magic bullet/stick blender to be able to puree it.

- 2 leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 russet potato, skinless, cubed
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed or minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8-12 oz artichoke hearts, canned or thawed is fine
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance or other margarine
- 1/2-1tsp salt
- 1/4 white pepper (use black if you want!)

1. Sweat the leeks and garlic in Earth Balance over low heat till soft.
2. Add the potatoes and veggie broth.
3. Simmer covered till the potatoes are just about tender.
4. Uncover and add the artichokes, almond milk, salt, and pepper.
5. When potatoes are totally soft and artichokes are are warmed through, transfer to blender and puree in batches till desired consistency.
6. Adjust seasonings to your liking and serve with crusty bread!

I really wanted something thick and hearty this evening, so I pureed the soup very little. I've pureed it every which way from sunday, and thick or thin this soup is damn good. It's great with fresh peas tossed in or blended in, or with a drizzle of cashew cream on top. Heck, I've even eaten it cold the next morning! Texture shot, topped with a small kale chip:



Time for a bath, some tea, and some sleep. Hopefully that will cure what's ailing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment